Originally Posted by Poconojack

Just looking for some feedback from those who use them. Seems like a rifle slung over the right shoulder and a trekking pole held in the right hand can be awkward in some situations.

Been using a Safari Sling for 25 plus years now. The nice thing is it's (mostly) hands free. My only experience with poles is snowshoeing while carrying a rifle with the Safari Sling while coyote hunting. The rifle was my 18.5" bbl M700 223 that is very light and compact. My primary hunting rifles are 22" bbls and sub 7 lbs. A longer "full size" rifle might be different. When hunting with the Safari Sling I usually have a hand resting on the rifle, and when negotiating thick timber I use my left hand to guide the muzzle. A Safari Sling isn't very expensive, you may want to try it with a trekking pole and see if it will work for you.

Nice thing about the Safari Sling it distributes the rifle's weight across your shoulder and back, plus it's a wide sling--it's a whole lot more comfortable. Just as importantly the rifle is always at "port arms" and makes it MUCH faster to deploy than carrying the rifle over your shoulder in a conventional manner, and it's a bit quicker than even carrying it in your hand. At least half the elk I've ever killed were offhand and 100 yds or less. Plus the rifle is always in front of you--you can see where the muzzle is pointed. As a guide, I don't know how many times I've turned around while climbing a hill to see my client bent over while humping it up the slope with his rifle slung over his shoulder and the muzzle pointed at my bazaki........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.