Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
While I can see snipers and long range enthusiasts being interested in the ..300PRC, I don't see it gaining wide use as a hunting cartridge. The 3.7" length requires a heavier, magnum length action, so rebarreling .30-06-length rifles won't allow max COL cartridges to fit in the magazine, negating much of it's design advantage. In a similar weight rifle I calculate a.308" 212g bullet at 2850fps will have about 10% more recoil than my .338WM with a 225g bullet A 2750fps - which is to say not very comfortable to shoot.
For my carry purposes, a heavier rifle is not an option I'd consider lightly, if at all, in spite of the recoil reduction it would provide. Never mind the scope needed to take advantage of extreme ranges would add even more weight. I suspect the same is true for many - the .300WM will do what they need at a weight and recoil level they find acceptable.
What I'd like to see is a 6.5 based on the .375 Ruger and designed to fit a .30-06 length action. It wouldn't replace my 6.5-06AI as a target rifle, but I would like one in a sporter-weight rifle for carry purposes.

The 300 PRC is a 2.580" case, and fits fine in a 700 long action, same as it's parent 375 Ruger case. No belt, and a .532" body, and can be built on a 30-06 action with appropriate bolt, and feeds fine as well.

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/300-PRC-Public-Introduction.pdf