I have a Browning AB3 308win bolt weapon that’s fired about 560 rounds to date. It has a carbon fiber composite stock. Been working loads with good results but I am plagued by occasional outliers which may or may not be result of my shooting skill.

In any case, I just popped my weapon apart and found no factory bedding, but the action seemed to fit tightly into the stock and the composite stock itself doesn’t appear to be flexible. I’m considering whether I should take this as an opportunity to learn how to bed a rifle. Research so far includes watching lots of YouTubes which makes me lean towards bedding at front lug and rear bolt and increasing free float clearance - but I can’t find anything specific to a Browning AB3.

My questions..

1. Do you guys recommend bedding this rifle?
2. Do you guys recommend “Gray Marine Tex” epoxy as a bedding material to bond to a composite stock?
3. I’m concerned about bedding at rear bolt around my trigger assembly. This weapon has an odd trigger assembly where all the levers and catches are exposed rather than typical bolt-on trigger box, but part of the trigger structure appears to be a rear bolt bearing surface between stock and action so I cannot remove it during bedding. So I am considering how I can mask the exposed levers and catches from the bedding material. I’m wondering if I can clean out a lot of plumbers putty or modeling clay out of the trigger works. Have any of you dealt with this?
4. I assume that I should use a dremel tool to dig out pockets of composite stock material for bedding to provide additional bearing surfaces, but keep existing bearing surfaces intact... And of course use lots of neutral shoe polish and plumbers putty on the action. Do you have any other advice?

Thank you.

Last edited by Frankk; 01/04/19.