I read the article in the Oct/Nov issue of “Handloader” and found enough interest in the article that I wanted to put it to the test with my .270...

My .270 is a bone stock Winchester 70, push feed Ranger model with a Redfield Revolution 3-9. Nothing fancy by any means but it has been a great shooter. I’m fairly new to loading for the .270... I’ve always been an 06 fan and what loading I have done for my .270 has been with mostly 140 grain pills.

[Linked Image]

I had some differences than the article load data. I used the written 49.5 grains of IMR-4064 but I used brand new WW brass, CCI-BR primers and all loads had a COAL of 3.250” for all bullets.

I loaded 130 Nos PT, 130 Horn SP, 130 Sierra BTSP (the bullet used in the article) and the 130 Speer BTSP.

I also shot 2, three shot groups instead of 2, five shot groups. I let the barrel cool 2 minutes between groups and 5 minutes between loads. My rifle could stand a bedding/floating job as I had a consistent shift in the zero between groups with a warm barrel but all loads performed very acceptable in my opinion. The Hornady load won the day but if I hadn’t pulled the one shot on the Sierra load, I think it would have beat the Hornady load. Also with the Nosler load, I only let the barrel cool for one minute between groups. The Speer load was the worst but still at MOAish.

[Linked Image]

In short, I’m sold. Much like the article I think I could work up a little even though the 49.5 load is above current max load data. My rifle showed ZERO pressure signs and the load actually felt very mild. I didn’t get any chrono data as I only have a strap on the barrel chrono that throws accuracy way off.

Thought you all might find my findings interesting,

Todd

Last edited by Justahunter; 01/05/19.