Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by beretzs
That’s pretty danged cool. I wouldn’t mind giving that a shot myself. It almost looks like if you seated a skosh deeper you’d pull in some of the 2-1’s but either way it’s pretty danged good. What did the article show for speed with that load? 2950’ish or so?

May have to give that a shot in one of my 270’s just for grins. It’d make a very inexpensive practice load as well. Especially with something like the Hornady or Speers.

Not much out there that load wouldn’t work fine on. Nice shooting. Cool rifle.

I'm thinking you would do things a bit differently. I know myself, I'd find the lands and back said bullet off the lands a certain amount, not just be satisfied with an OAL of the same thing for every bullet. As we both know, bullets from different manufactures are going to need a different OAL. This is because of the varying ogive location. I think people who are not aware of where the bullet is in relation to the lands are wasting components, or just plinking and not attaining the most information they can about the loads they are working on. Recently I loaded up some el-cheapo 130gr midway bullets for my buddies 270 winchester and went with an oldschool recipe of 60.5 grains oh H4831 and that load was bug holing groups (5 shot sub 3/4 moa, in fact). Of course, I knew where the bullet was in relation to the lands, and I knew that's where his rifle likes them. I will say this, the OP's rifle is shooting pretty dang good for a ranger...

Chasing the lands is the most over hyped practice there is in reloading. I know where the lands is. If it was a target rifle, I'd be a lot more worried about it. I don't need to chase the lands for it to be a very reliable and accurate hunting rifle for my wife. Does lands depth effect accuracy?... Absolutely. Do I need a 1/2 MOA rifle to have a nice hunting rifle. Not hardly.

Todd