Originally Posted by NMSSHOOTER
I have only been turkey hunting a few years now but only shot heavy shot magblends in my 870 12gauge for two years. Then I shot a 20 gauge 1187 with 21” barrel and tss handloads. I can attest to the fact that the 20gauge works just as well as a 12 with the magblends. I try to shoot as close as possible but sometimes it don’t work out.
Last years I shot one at 4 or 5 yards and one at 56 that I misjudge. Both died just the same.
As for the cost I think think shells is probably one of the most important things and probably the cheapest when you look at the big picture. Gas, license, calls, vest/clothes and for me time. I work odd schedules and on call, so time missed with the family when I’m off is very valuable for me. The average guy probably only shoots 5-10 shells in a year anyways.
The big perk for me handloading tss is the time spent with my young daughter. She always drops or spills a couple shells and we have to clean up and redo but it’s all worth it when she gets to see patterns from dead targets we shoot. Hopefully I’m gonna get her on a bird with me

I agree and your last paragraph is awesome.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.