Originally Posted by RickBin
The "Biden Rule," moreover, was perpetuated in a circumstance when George Bush was president, and the Dems had the Senate. Biden was the Chairman of the Sen Judiciary Committee, and he was using his political leverage as a member of the majority to tell GHWB that even if a pick became available (it wasn't at the time), and if GHWB decided to nominate a SCOTUS justice during a Pres election year, that the Senate should "refuse to confirm."

Nice zig. If you have the majority.

Republicans have the majority now. DJT doesn't need the Dems. Following a rule propagated by Dems for their advantage when they were the majority, to our DETRIMENT when WE have the majority is lunacy. Especially as regards a SCOTUS pick!

Originally Posted by RickBin
And as much as I hate to link to the NYT:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/23/...elaying-supreme-court-picks-in-1992.html

Where this quote appears:

“Some critics say that one excerpt of my speech is evidence that I oppose filling a Supreme Court vacancy in an election year,” Mr. Biden said. “This is not an accurate description of my views on the subject.”

Doesn't matter. McConnell used it to block the nomination of Obama's last year pick Garland.

As we all know McConnell is afraid of the Media and wants to be loved by both the Media and his colleagues on the left. To "keep the integrity of the Senate in tact" He will follow the Democrats wishes/demands and keep the Biden Rule intact.

He is doing this with the "Blue Slip" rule and the 60 vote cloture rule. He will not step outside the Senate rules whether they are official rules or just precedence. He won't go Nuclear, he won't recide the Blue Slip rule and he will use the Biden Rule. After all he is a man of Integrity.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.