I admittedly spend much more time on this forum reading others posts than I do offering any input. That being said, I've noticed that one of the most repeated themes is what rifle/caliber/load do you use or is best for elk? That in turn got me thinking about my own experience & was struck by how eclectic it is. So, here goes what I can remember. Largest bull was killed with a 7X57 shooting 175 grain Hornadys. Smallest bull was shot with a .270 using 150 grain Sierras. Longest shot was with a .338 WM using 250 gr Sierras. Closest shot was with a .416 wildcat based on a blown out .325 WSM shooting 400 gr Hornadys (really glad nothing was behind that one....) Most elk overall with the same rifle is a 7X64 Brenneke shooting 154 Hornadys, only because it has been my trusted go to for the last 20 years or so if I'm not trying something different. So here is a list of rifles I have killed elk with, some of them just one while some of them multiples. Pre 64 Winchester .270 standard grade, pre 64 super grade .270 Winchester, commercial Mauser 7X64 Brenneke, custom commercial Mauser.338 Win Mag, Custom Mauser .270 Win.,Ruger 77 7X57, previously mentioned .416 on Montana Rifle action, 1895 Winchester .30-40 Krag, original Newton Arms .256 Newton, 1886 Winchester (reproduction) extra light .45-70, and last but not least, a 2nd year production 1894 Winchester .30-30 takedown rifle. That is it as I recall. Hunting partner has taken more elk than I ever will & every one of them was with the same pre 64 standard grade 30-06 using nothing but 165 grain Speer flat bases. Please tell what you have used, I'm really interested to hear what others have used over time.