Originally Posted by AbeJohnsen
Here in Alberta we have a minimum caliber of 6mm/.243 allowed on big game. And well I love my 243 & 6mm’s I wouldn’t necessarily use them for elk, unless it were under certain parameters.
I have loaded for and help kids and one buddys wife take moose with 243win . Without incident in 3 cases, moose are softer animal it seems and we can usually close the distance to under 75-50 yrds most times without much trouble.
For me I believe in using good bullets if going light caliber and does make up a bit for being under gunned.

Over the years, I’ve recovered two “small” caliber Bullets from elk....very healthy elk, until I shot them. My wife killed her first elk with a borrowed .243 Win., and while she was successful....she quickly realized, that it was not a good choice for elk. After several more elk with a very popular cartridge, in 1995 she was persuaded to step-up into her present cartridge. After her first kill with the new cartridge, she was very impressed with it’s performance. She continues to be impressed! So, for her ..... 3 different cartridges. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024