Mule Deer,
Thanks for the info on the AI. As I said I will be ringing out the standard 250 first and foremost. The 99 takedown is an old reblue so collector value is not there anyway. I always think on the 250 AI about this time of year when there's about 5 hours of day light and it's below "0" day in and day out. I don't think I'd ream these two fine looking rifles anyway, mainly mid winter, coffee drinking, thinking to kill time. Yeah the Remington 100 gr I was hoping would work in the 99, I'll look into the Spears right after I check the twist on that gun.. The takedown is real tight on the 99.
I've never had problems with takedowns shooting good after I got the word on tightening them up. Talking Winchesters now. Back in the 70's I ended up picking up 4 or 5 94's of various calibers, got a good deal on them because they had play in the takedown match up. Local smith here in Fairbanks and I keep locking and figuring different ways to tighten them up. Anyway we did not touch them till we knew a way that would put them back tight.
Well I hard the idea if anybody knew a good fix, it would be P.O. Ackley. It took me awhile to run him down long distance,but finely got his daughter who was the hearing aid for P.O. and our phone conversation. Kind of a cumbersome conversation, but, got some good info and passed it on to my smith buddy. P.O.'s fix required not to over think the repair. KISS, keep it simple stupid. We were certainly were over thinking the repair. They all shot well and the head space problem went away.
Those first takedowns got me addicted to Winchester levers, so I started collecting takedowns exclusively, except for half a dozen 1885's that found there way in the safe.
Anyway thanks for the info on bolt thrust, your probably right. Guess I will get more serious about picking up a 257 Roberts.