Originally Posted by pdman
Hey All...I do hope this case goes our way...NYC "law" stretches the NY STATE law to suit their own fancies re handguns....let me try to 'splain...i am a former NYPD SGT...30yrs...1981 to 2011 & retired...
I had permits to posses handguns in NYC starting in 1975 before i joined the NYPD...NY STATE PENAL LAW section 400.00 authorizes TWO type of handgun permits....carry permit and premise permit...the carry permit is valid ANYWHERE in NY STATE except, of course, NYC....the premise permit authorizes a handgun on the address on the permit only....there was a time when NYC issued a "target" permit...that authorized the permit holder to take his firearm to and from a shooting range in a LOCKED BOX with ammo to be carried separately....also it allowed the permit holder to carry his firearm afield while actually hunting...meaning that when you were finished hunting the weapon had to go back in the locked box...!!!! I believe a lawsuit against the NYPD LICENSE DIV. did away with the "target" permit since that type of license was not in the NY STATE PENAL LAW...also NYC limited one to 3 handguns...another lawsuit threw that out and NYC now requires you to own a safe to secure your handguns if you own more than 3...you must submit a copy of the bill of sale for the safe and a photo of the safe showing it closed and open..!!!!! So now NYC only issues premise permits and of course the carry license which is about impossible to obtain unless you meet their "guidelines"...(you must show "need" to carry a firearm...they decide if your need is valid)....the problem with the premise permit is when you want to take your handgun hunting...NYC will give you an endorsement(piece of paper) that "authorizes" you to take your weapon afield hunting...there is no such provision in NY STATE LAW...sooooo..there are counties in upstate NY that go by what your permit says...the premise permit says you may only posess it on the address on the permit....you are in violation of NY STATE LAW if you are afield with your weapon in upstate NY...so far no one has had a problem hunting upstate with their premise permit and that "hunting endorsement" issued by NYC....as you can see NYC is loathe to issue carry permits....nuff said
Good lord! What a communist part of the country NYC is.... eek

I left NYC upon retirement so i am not quite up on their latest regs re handguns....
PETE
Thanks for your service, Pete - and I bet you are a bunch happier now since you're outta NYC..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!