I fell in love with the Winchester Model 94 'Antique' Carbine at age 10, thanks to a Winchester ad. This one was made that same year. It has been shot very little but had acquired a bit of light rust, which was easily removed with a few passes of oiled 0000 steel wool. The sight hood was still in place. Just a touch of the case colors remain though the photo didn't capture them well. The trigger is excellent. In 1966 you could still buy a lever action with a crisp 3# pull, no external safeties and no idiot warnings inscribed on the barrel. For all the fuss about post 64s being 'inferior' this is one of the smoothest 94s I've cycled. I've watched 94 Winchester prices climb steadily and spike recently, with plain post 64s selling well over 500 bucks. Figured I better grab this one at just over $400.

[Linked Image]

This 94 feeds & ejects perfectly and is kind to brass. It don't shoot half bad either. I spent seven rounds of Federal 150 soft point getting it rough zeroed and these three standing unsupported from 100 yards in a pretty brisk breeze. Won't get me to the Palma Matches but I'm OK with it in the first 10 rounds.

[Linked Image]

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ