Originally Posted by COElkChaser

So why does the 30-06 have the reputation for not being as accurate? What do the 308 and 300 win mag have that the 30-06 doesn't.

From 1906 on the 30-06 was the military round and what most competitors used until the 308 became the military round. There have been more improvements in components while the 308 was the military round, so they evolved faster accuracy wise and the shooters all ready had the improvements made during the 30-06's time. Back in the reign of the 06 it is what everyone and his dog shot and not all of them were great shots. Not all the 308 shooters were Lones Wigger either. Now the military uses a fast twist 5.56 with heavy bullets for its matches, it's not a 1000 yd cartridge though, while the 300 Mag is and in many military snipe systems developed for extreme accuracy at LR. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm betting the a match prepped 30-06 with the latest components and well made rifle would be very competitive by your better shooters. Just like that dude in the You tube vid whacking steel at 2800 yds with the 30-06. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "