Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

FWIW, she shot her last critter with her hubby's .300WSM. When she starts looking for a longer range hunting rifle, I'm not at all sure what to recommend. The availability and options for factory ammo will be far more important than any potential differences in accuracy - those differences are swamped by other factors including differences in rifle, trigger, barrel quality, chamber dimensions and so on.

The only thing I know for sure is it will be another lefty, which limits rifle options considerably. May end up with a semi-custom built from parts.

6.5 Creedmoor checks all those boxes...

John

Too late. Got her a 22" barreled lefty Rem M700 chambered for .270 Win. Loaded up some 150g LRAB to 2910fps. Recoil is mild, accuracy is great,

One of the goals I had for Daughter's rifle was the ability to deliver 2000fps and 1500fpe to 600 yards at 7000 feet altitude. The .270/150LRAG @ 2910fps meets these admittedly arbitrary goals out to 680 yards. The 6.5CM/140LRAB @ 2670fps (22" barrel) drops below 1500fpe @ 440 yards. At 600 yards the .270 has a calculated 13.7" less drop, an additional 180fps and 345fpe and an inch less drift. Granted, the 6.5CM will do it with about 70% of the recoil, but the .270 load is only 2 ft-lbs heavier than her .308 load - meaning it is easily in her comfort range.

Though I don’t currently own one, the .270 is one of my all time favorites. Have more DRT kills with a .270 than any other cartridge. So, good choice, in my view, provided she can handle the recoil ok. Would love to see manufacturers start producing them with an 8” twist... FWIW, you might be able to do a little better on the velocity of the 140gr from the Creedmoor. Just a few days ago I got 2886 with 147gr ELDs pushed by 7828ssc from my 24” barrel...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14