Originally Posted by Mesa
Re-reading Alan Furst's "The Polish Officer." Sad, but true. If any country (with possible exception of "Kurdistan") has been betrayed by its "friends and neighbors" more than Poland, I'm not aware of it. Furst almost always gets his guns right, which is more than 99.9% of fiction writers can say....we won't even speak of Hollywood.

Thanks for the suggestion, Mike. I went and ordered a copy off Amazon. I've read a few of Furst's novels but somehow that one got by me. Excellent writer who really captures the flavor of pre-war and wartime Europe.

Another of my all time favorites is Philip Kerr. His flawed anti-hero Bernie Gunther is a man of the times, surviving as a civilian police inspector within Nazi Germany, coerced into a stint in the SS during the war, and his misadventures post-war while trying to evade his past. Real page turners. I anxiously await each new book. (Note: if you want to sample him- and you should- do read them in chronological order. Each novel is capable of standing alone, but the enjoyment is enhanced if taken in order.) Kerr is another writer who gets his guns right, but most of that stuff is limited to German pistols.

The one writer who is flawless about getting his gun stuff right because he's a gun loony in real life (and writes occasional bits for The American Rifleman) is Stephen Hunter. If you've never read any of his stuff (which should also be taken in chronological order) get thee hence to the library/bookstore/Amazon.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty