Spring of 2017, I drove from my home in central Washington, up through British Columbia and the Yukon, to Fairbanks. Camped most nights. Highly recommend the drive if you have the time for it!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Helio Courier north for quite a ways.
[Linked Image]

Four of us, two guides, two hunters, in a pretty nice little camp by a stream. First bear came pretty quickly. Then our camp dwindled to just two of us, and eventually on day 7 I tagged a nice grizzly with my 30-06 Rem 700. Ya, I know, a puny 30-06 in a wood stocked Rem 700. Sigh.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hunted with Lyle Becker and Joey Klutsch. Those two guys worked hard and smart and provided a terrific hunt! I'd fished and backpacked in Alaska before, but had never hunted there before. Also had never taken the time to drive up and back. What a wonderful journey and a terrific hunt!

I could have brought a 375, and was tempted to do so, but before the hunt Lyle asked me a couple of questions that helped me make my rifle decision:

1. This is open country, you may need to take a 300 yard shot. Which rifle do you shoot better? Well, the 30-06 I'll admit.
2. This is tough country for hiking. Which rifle is lighter? Well, the 30-06 is.

So, I ended up taking the 30-06, which is very familiar to me from other hunts. Used my old 2-7 Redfield 'cause it's a decent scope. Handloaded 200 gr Nosler Partitions, with a very accurate, nice shooting load.

I will freely admit that after a long stalk, I completely blew my first shot at the grizzly, which appeared rather suddenly at less than 50 yards. I may have been a little excited... Probably put it 4 or 5 feet over the bear! Settled down after that thankfully.

I've hunted black bears and enjoyed, and will continue to do so. I think though, that my need for a big bear has been satisfied. He's an inch short of the record book, I didn't care. Hide squares a bit over 8' and is just incredible. The wolf hide & skull, and the grizzly hide and skull are great reminders of this trip. Likely the hunt of a lifetime for me.

Regards, Guy

Last edited by Cascade; 01/31/19.