Jake - I take the Wrangler on long trips several times a year. Last spring it carried my wife and I on a 3,600 mile trip through the southwest including a lot of 4wd use on desert roads.

It's NOT the greatest highway car! Especially the two-door. A little "twitchy" with the steering. I transitioned from a full-size truck to the Wrangler six years ago, and though I like the little rascal, it wouldn't be my first choice for a long highway drive. It did just fine on the trip up to Fairbanks and back, but frankly that road is nice enough now that a Toyota Camry or whatever could do it just fine, be more comfortable, and get better fuel economy. It is an incredible drive, and I am so glad that I took the time to drive this time, instead of simply flying up again.

The 30-06 with the 200's did fine, once I hit the bear. First shot was a high miss. Second shot hit the right shoulder/upper leg. Broke that shoulder and dropped the bear instantly, penetrating into the chest too. Likely a killing shot, however the bear didn't agree. He fell at the shot, rolled and was back on his feet in a flash. I was already working the bolt and then made a bad hit, too high, just a "graze" as they said in the old western movies. Then I got a good hit as the bear turned away from me, and dropped him again. He stayed down. Somewhere in there my guide popped him with a 338 Win mag too. I was about to reload my 30-06, when Joey handed me his 338 and I finished the bear with a chest shot at maybe 15 yards. There was a lot of shooting going on in a very brief period of time, all of it at short range.

Recovered this 200 gr Partition from the bear while skinning: [Linked Image]

Wish I could say that I made a one-shot kill on the grizzly, but that didn't happen.

Regards, Guy

Last edited by Cascade; 02/01/19.