A bit late as the decision has been made, but offering a few thoughts for those in the future trying to decide.

I currently have two Ingrams in D2 and two in S30V. He does good things with both and either make excellent knives with excellent edge retention.

My preference is for his D2 for use on deer and feral pigs. I use an Atoma 140 grit plate, remove the burr, and leave it at that.

That “toothy” edge really bites hide and flesh and splits it with just a light touch. The D2 provides a more durable edge that is noticeable cleaning pigs caked with dried mud. The D2 also is faster to sharpen. The S30V benefits from a finer finish on the edge, otherwise it is susceptible to microchips on the belly.

Similar to the endless discussions about cartridges, steel is only one factor in performance. Design, profile, edge geometry, heat treat, and how the edge is sharpened all are important factors.

I ordered my first custom knife in 1976 and have bought, sold, and used many steels from many excellent makers. Gene is one of the absolute best for designing a knife that is comfortable in hand to use, designs that work well, with just right geometry, and heat treat that provides good edge retention with durability. His work is shoulder to shoulder with the best, even with “just D2.”

My Ingram Bullnose in D2 is the one I tend to pick up first, and most often.