I have a Vanguard Classic II in a 7Rem Mag that I believe to have the 24" Weatherby 7Mag, 1:10 twist. It has a considerable amount of "free bore" and takes about 2-3grs more powder to equal standard Rem 700 velocities. It is very accurate with most any reasonable load, otherwise I would have gotten rid of it years ago (awful loud and considerably heavier than my .270). I also have a 26" Encore in the same 7Rem Mag caliber with a much shorter throat; I have to make sure I don't mix any of my Vanguard's "max" loads! I too believe most of the reported "spike" loads were caused by varying chamber dimensions, or throat lengths made by manufactures that might have extended "tooling life" a bit far (no, I do not have proof, but in 30 some years of loading this round I have never experienced "unexplained" pressure spikes.) Otherwise, how can you conclude that the same case that is used in the .338WM and .264WM were never known for having "pressure excursions". I suppose that it is possible that cases made for the 7RemMag may be "softer" than that made for its smaller and larger "brethren", but I doubt it. I cannot imagine changing the bullet diameter in either case [necking up or down (with "neck turning")] would cause a "spike" unless other factors were involved, ie. chamber, throat, lead taper, etc. I also think that by "fire forming" new 7Rem Mag brass by necking up to .30 caliber and necking back down to 7mm until it fits in your chamber will correct any "head space" problems you might experience. ("Gun Scribe" John Haviland takes credit for this bit of modification to extend the life of the, normally, short life span of 7RemMag brass; thus, head spacing on the shoulder rather than the "belt" from the "get go".) I've have done as he suggested, but have not shot enough of the rifle/cartridge lately to report on cartridge longevity. BTW, my Vanguard loves IMR7828 and RL22, especially with 160 and 175gr bullets; my Encore likes the 139 and 140gr bullets best. Sorry, didn't mean to "hijack" the threat; for it is a great long range shooter.