Originally Posted by verns
I have Sierra 5 th, Hornady 8th &Lyman49th Editions . I have a bunch of #1355 Sierra 55 Gr HPBT and some Benchmark .The Sierra bk has 23.6 to startup to 25.2 I used cci primers Wolf cases and got flat primers from 23.6 to 24 Gr of BM .The BM does meter well and it is here + the bullets and cases,I suppose it leaves me with changing primers or go buy different powder.Thanks for the help.

If you're using CCI 400 primers, I'd surely change...........they are soft & flatten easily & there is a distinct chance of slam fires moreso than with other primers in an AR.

Adding to the flattening, IIRC, Wolf brass is thicker than Win or Rem which is used for more reloading data development, so that would directionally add to higher pressure (ie flattening of primers), IMO.

If you are not into putting in some time & trying / changing components, then I'd back away from reloading for an AR & shoot factory ammo, hence my questions earlier.

There's nothing wrong with BM as a powder, & it may be fine as you have loaded it, or if the flat primers bother you then back the load down a little or get some different brass and surely a different primer.

As to primers for an AR, Rem 7 1/2's work just fine, & are about as cheap a good primer as you'll find.

CCI-BR4, CCI-450 Mag, Wolf SRM, CCI-41 all work & I will only use those in an AR; Win, Fed, & CCI-400 all get reserved to bolt guns.

Hope this gives you some info & direction..................AR's are not quite as straightforward as loading for bolt guns & have some caveats involved to keep an eye on.

If you decide to change powders, & there's nothing wrong with Benchmark, IMO, then there are lots of powders than work well: TAC, 8208, AR-Comp, RL-15, Varget, V V- N133, 135, 140, 540, CFE-223 are all very widely used powders & easily obtainable.

I just priced TAC, & it can be had in 8 lb jugs for less than $20 a pound & under $22 by the single lb.

MM