I was 'gifted' with the situation to have had several conversations with Bob McCoy over a ten year period. The first occasion was when I talked with him about what profile/design I should have my bullet making dies made? Bob advised that I should have them made with a rebated boat-tail and when I asked him why?? that design he told me that everything he had fired through the spark graph range with a rebated boat-tail had shown a minimum of a 5% increase in performance over the standard boat-tail configuration! That doesn't sound like much but in the case of having to make a 'shoot off'....a 5% increase in X count wins the pot!! I had Bob Simonson up in Michigan make my dies and I wore myself out over a ten year period making bullets of a specific design for shooting in the M14 as no manufacturer at that time was making a good match bullet for Service Rife shooters competing in NRA High-power events. Most shooters in the Service Rifle Class were tied to the Sierra 168 gr. HPBT which oft times, due to lack of adequate BC and muzzle velocity at 1000 yards would 'key-hole' into the target paper. The Sierra 168 bullet has a 13 degree tapered BT and Bob advised that any bullet with that degree of boat-tail had the same drag function as a flat-based bullet.

We lost a good guy when Bob was called home!! frown shocked

Even birds know not to land downwind!