Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Originally Posted by rflshtr
In addition to timed photos of what is hitting baits, find out when bait is placed and how frequently

A lot of good outfits aren't going to do this.

Here is why. It can, will, and does cause for a lot of problems in camp. Of course every guy wants to sit on the stand with the big boar coming to it. Another thing is depending on the bait sites the big bears can be hitting several of the bait sites. Then of course if for whatever reason that bear doesn't come into the bait site guys will say the guide is FOS.

Here are my questions I would ask.

1) What is the average size bears you are killing? What was the Biggest killed last season? Do you charge a penalty for shooting a Dink? (if the answer is no to the Dink, I would ask why not?)

2) How far are the bait sites from the lodging? What is the mode of transportation to and from? How many people per vehicle and what type of vehicle?

3) Are your bait sites marked for judging with a 36" mark where the bear must go near to get to the bait? Do you place 5' logs around the bait to aid in judging? Are your bait sites on public land?

4) Do you pull baits when you have sites only being hit during non-legal hunting hours?

5) How many other outfits are near your lodge? How many hunters do you take on in a season?

This should give you a really good idea if the outfit is in it solely for profit or in it for the love of it. Also tells you how much they are catering to you. I hope this helps you out.

I would add about what they use for bait, however it really doesn't matter what they use if they are getting bears on the sites during legal hunting hours.

Good stuff here.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.