Originally Posted by MILES58
I have a little different take on the subject.

A very close friend of mine was an addict. I set up the 3rd or 4th intervention and one of the last things I did was to call his adult son and ask "Do I need to remove the guns" . I did not think I did and neither did his son. In less that 24 hours he had committed suicide by gun, literally hours before we put him back into treatment.

I don't think it is an accident that the Las Vegas shooter stands out as almost the lone exception who gave no advance warning of what he was going to do, and the many if not most of the mass shooters gave ample and fairly good warning before hand. I doubt we are anywhere near as good at seeing the warnings before hand as we are in retrospect, and we may not catch even half of them. But...that sure as hell shouldn't prevent us from trying and as long as we respect due process we can provide a system biased to err on whichever side of caution we as a society deem appropriate.
I'm sorry but who made the mistake? Maybe y'all SHOULD have removed his guns. In the end, he wanted to commit suicide and did. Again, I'm sorry, but is that not the ultimate act of doing what one wants with one's own body? And then is that not the ultimate act of freedom? Of free will? I am not advocating suicide and don't believe in suicide, but I also don't believe the government should tell somebody what to do in that case.