I don't find the setup on the 35P to be that difficult. I use a laser bore sighter. I set the rifle up, bagged on the bench, pointed at the target. I insert the laser bore sighter and turn the laser on. I then use my hand behind a screen to get the laser beam in the right spot. Repeat on the other end, check and final adjustment and I'm good to go.

Most of the time, I've got my screens about 68" off the ground as I shoot from a stand-up bench on a trailer. Setting screens up this high is more challenging than doing so for a seated bench. The laser makes things much simpler.

For all chronographs, what concerns me the most is the validity of the numbers given. I've seen many brands of chronograph. I've seen all them give bad numbers. How did I know the numbers were "bad"? Simple, I was running two chronographs (or one that gives two readings).

If two chronographs agree, it is reasonable to believe either one. If they don't agree, one of them must be wrong. Problem is WHICH ONE?

When running one chronograph, all you have to go on is what you expected to get. If it is 50 fps fast or slow, was that due to a chrono error or is something else going on?

Personally, I like the 35P...but only trust it if used with the "Proof" screen. This setup actually gives two readings. The manual tells you they won't always be exactly the same but it gives guidelines as to what variance is reasonable and what variance should be cause for skepticism. The 35P also gives you the ability to increase expected accuracy by using a longer screen spacing. Typically, I use a 9' spacing.

With a lot of life's situations, we pay for convenience. Measuring velocity is no different. The Labradar is convenient (I have one). If I planned to use the Labradar for serious work, I'd need another one (or some other chronograph) to check each measurement for validity.

Therefore, for the same degree of confidence in velocity measurements, one 35P or two LabRadars. The "convenience" of setting up and running two LabRadars is not worth the extra cost over the 35P, at least to me.

For the record, this is not a slight on LabRadar. I'd trust it just as much as I'd trust the Oehler 35P used without the "Proof" screen. Since I always use the "Proof" screen on the 35P, I'd need TWO LabRadars to achieve the same level of confidence.

There are some very smart, very well respected folks in the ballistics world that trust numbers provided by the LabRadar...if they are running TWO at the same time and get agreement.

Good luck on whatever you decide to use.