Dale06: Thank you for the explanation of those Rifles coming into being!
I had a Remington XP-100 "pistol" made into a heavy weight Varmint Rifle in caliber 6m/m Remington Bench Rest several years ago by the wonderful Riflesmith and optical engineering genius Wally Siebert.
He was able to put the XP-100 action and its extra heavy 26 1/2" stainless Hart barrel "together" without "installing" a recoil lug between the action and the barrel!
He guaranteed me this "connection" of the action and the barrel WITHOUT a recoil lug would enhance accuracy!
He was ABSOLUTELY right!
With Varmint category bullets and a Leupold 8.5x25 power variable scope this custom Varminter (weighs 13 pounds 10 ounces!) virtually always produces groups (5 shots at 100 yards) measuring .200"!
This on the windless days when I am verifying point of impact.
I only shoot this Rifle in Colony Varminting situations and again on the rare times I am verifying point of impact (sight in).
There is a "cleft" on the underside of the XP-100 action near the front that Riflesmith Siebert used as the recoil lug for my Rifle.
I also installed a wonderful Jewell trigger as a replacement for the "linkage" type trigger on the XP-100's.
I wonder if the XR-100 actions could be customized to also not need the "recoil lug" between barrel and action?
Its my understanding the XR-100 is a manifestation of the XP-100 action - I don't know for sure but I should.
Riflesmith Siebert also had to install a "Sako" extractor after smithing the bolt face of my XP-100 action as it was originally a 221 Remington Fireball.
Looking at my loading log notes I also "gave in" to Riflesmith Sieberts recommendation that the heavy long Hart barrel be "cryo" treated.
Sure shoots well.
Thanks again for the explanation of the origins of your XR-100's.
I only have one 22 P.P.C. Varminter and that is a N.I.B. unfired Ruger 77 V/T that I have owned for years - I have always been intrigued by that caliber.
Got to make up my mind on the future of that Rifle/caliber!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy