Originally Posted by buckstix
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
"...........I'm also a little put off by the use of a Texas Ranger badge for a city marshal in another state.

Beautiful Colt and craftsmanship though............".

Hello rockinbbar,

Thanks for the reply.

According to Stan Benjamin's book "Tombstone Lawmen" under the chapter "Badges of Tombstone" (pages 40 - 43) there are no less than 18 badges depicting a 5 point star, (with & without a surround circle) dating back as early as 1880, This same motif is in current use today. https://www.cityoftombstoneaz.gov/marshals-office/

Buckstix, I'm sure not trying to short your Colt. As I said, I think it's a beautiful weapon that's a real work of art and craftsmanship.

That said... The badge inletted on both grips is the personal preference and taste of the man that had it made. And the badge design, and even make by the jeweler in Houston is the current Texas Ranger design badge adopted by the real Texas Rangers in 1962. There is absolutely no mistaking that design.

Several Texas Sheriff Depts. also adopted the badge design and have used it for themselves and the deputies in their departments. I assume there may have been other law enforcement in other states, such as AZ, that have adopted the badge design and pattern, but I have not seen that outside of Texas. 5 pt. circle star badges, yes, but not the exact design and pattern used in the 1962 Ranger badge.

I only know these bits of trivia because I wore the authentic design badge while serving in law enforcement here in Texas, and got it directly from the jeweler in Houston with an authorized dept. letterhead at the time. The jeweler still makes the badges of antique Mexican silver coins.

There's lots written on the history of the Texas Ranger badges. Probably the most complete and historic is from the Ranger's themselves. https://www.texasranger.org/texas-ranger-museum/popular-pages/beware-fake-badges/

Again, I complement the design and taste of the handgun, but that inletted badge on the grips is indeed a Texas badge design. Right down to the engraving.

I can take a picture of the badge I still carry for comparison if you'd like. It predates the ones in your pictures by many years. I carry mine on my key fob now, because I'm no longer with the department.

Respectfully, RBB

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!