Originally Posted by azrancher
I don’t really know the years for shure but he left the Boquillas ( where he was cow boss for colonel Greene) in about 1918 or 1920. I guess I t was after that. Send me a phone # or your email and I will send you a picture of the badge.

Fred

Hello azrancher,

Thansk for the reply.

Yes, please sned a picture. send to [email protected]

Originally Posted by rockinbbar
".... The badge inletted on both grips is the personal preference and taste of the man that had it made.

Hello rockinbbar,

Thanks for your reply.

The document sent to Colt that is labeled "Request for Quote" (see picture - No. 6) shows a "xerox copy" of the "actual badge" carried by Marshal Max Hurlbut. He didn't design it, it was the badge that was assigned to him when he took office. The book "Tombstone Lawmen" shows that exact same badge as being carried by Marshal Max from July 1997 to November 1998. The center of the star is bare. The badges in the grip are the same, except smaller and they have "TMO" added in the center of the star.
(Tombstone Marshal's Office) This corresponds to Colt's serial number; TMO-1.

"..... And the badge design, and even make by the jeweler in Houston is the current Texas Ranger design badge adopted by the real Texas Rangers in 1962. There is absolutely no mistaking that design.

Several Texas Sheriff Depts. also adopted the badge design and have used it for themselves and the deputies in their departments. I assume there may have been other law enforcement in other states, such as AZ, that have adopted the badge design and pattern, but I have not seen that outside of Texas. 5 pt. circle star badges, yes, but not the exact design and pattern used in the 1962 Ranger badge.

I only know these bits of trivia because I wore the authentic design badge while serving in law enforcement here in Texas, and got it directly from the jeweler in Houston with an authorized dept. letterhead at the time. The jeweler still makes the badges of antique Mexican silver coins.

That No. 6 paragraph also mentions that the Marshal's badge was made from a silver Mexican cinco peso piece. How and When and Why that badge was made for the Tombstone Marshal is not known.

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.