Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Suggestion: decide in advance who gets how much meat if anyone scores. How to divide the meat has broken up some good partnerships. Be sure it's all clear before you go. The way my 2 partners and I have done it for years is if one gets an elk, he takes half and the other 2 split the other half.

To the OP, I think last year you hunted in CO?? If you do again, be careful how you divide up the meat, CO has very specific regs on that. If you divide it up after it's been processed or at home, it's not a problem but if you do it in the field the limit is 20 lbs. unless the person you give the meat to has a "like license" and punches the tag. And in that case you need to give them a "donation certificate" with your license information on it. Your buddies without tags don't want to be checked in the field with more than 20 lbs of meat and no tag punched. Or, toting your rifle because you have a pack full of meat on your back.

PS, I agree on the numbers in yuour hunting party, no big deal if you strike out on your own but two on a stalk would be the max I'd go with, and the other guy better be good. And depending on the season and wher eyou hunt, your best elk hunting area may not be your best deer hunting area, something to consider. There are a few deer in my favorite elk spots but if I was deer hunting I'd go somewhere else.

A wise man is frequently humbled.