Originally Posted by WAM
Most of the guys I have hunted with want to keep their own meat and not share. If there is no agreement beforehand, they tend to not want to share. I’m willing to share most of the time if someone is sharing the cost of the tag and processing. I sometimes buy a leftover cow tag with the expectation that I will share that beast if the cost of the extra tag is shared if successful.

Like many things, how to share (or not share) the meat is something that is best decided BEFORE the hunt. Not a big problem for me because I hunt with family (daughters and sons-in-law) and a long-time (20 year) hunting buddy. Sometimes someone wants to share processing expenses and the meat, other times I share anyway, fill my freezer, and let them help themselves to what they need when they visit. The grandkids hardly get beef at home, eating antelope and elk and deer instead. Heck, in the end the extended family eats 90% of what I take – I just provide cold storage until they run low or have freezer space. Works for me.

Years ago I hunted with others that had less clearly defined sharing. In general, though, we followed the following rules back then:
1. Anyone that materially helps a hunter be successful is entitled to share in the meat. That help may be pre-season scouting, providing equipment, vehicles, food or other services or items essential to the hunter’s success.
2. Helping pack out the meat earns a share
3. Each person that earns a share for reasons listed above is also required to help pay for processing or forfeit their share.

There can still be plenty of room for disagreement as to share sizes. Best to hunt with good friends IMHO.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.