Originally Posted by Hesp
If I might suggest . Perhaps you have already tried this? Take your best group & re- shoot with the bullet seated .010" deeper. See if that makes any difference. On my various 6.5 ( 6.5x308, 260,6.5x55, 6.5-06 .264mag ) My Barnes bullets are seated so that you can just see the upper part of the upper relief grove. I get small consistent groups. If seating .010 deeper helps maybe a little deeper will shrink groups to better uniformity.. Also if your Bbl is free floated I have found a benefit in beading the first 3" of Bbl. just in front of the action..Stiffens the Bbl. Some thoughts. Wish you the best.

Right now theyre seated so you can barely make out the top band but see the whole "groove". Ive seated them as deep as just over the top groove. Its entirely possible Im missing the whole seating depth window. I h will admit, I did get ahead of myself and not do as thorough a job with determining seating depth. I typically have better and repeatable "raw" accuracy before I Start messing with seating depth. I guess im most frustrated with the lack of consistency. I just have no idea how two 5 shot strings, loaded to the same depth, same charge weight, roughly the same temp and wind variables..almost identical chrono numbers....go from under an inch to almost 2in. At a minimum, I would have to shoot another r5 shot string to see which was the fluke.