Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I think it's a dumb idea myself. Why are we trying to do so much with a .22 caliber bullet? next thing we will be trying to shoot 105 grain 22s with a 5 twist barrel. Where does the madness end?

If you want to shoot at very long ranges, don't try to do it with a mouse gun. Simple as that.

Because it works? Already doing 95 grainers with a 6” twist. A 80-100 grain bullet designed correctly will kill every herbivore in NA. Doing so in a .224 gives you great BC and BETTER terminal ballistics than doing it with a bigger caliber and same size bullet.

8-10 ft-lbs of recoil is about the cutoff for stupid easy shooting. You get the most for the least with heavy, high BC well designed bullets in .22 cal.

Absolutely this. I used to hunt deer with a .30-06 and elk with a .338 WM. I just don’t need that anymore for either species. I addition, I spend a lot more time shooting gongs with my rifles than I do animals, so why not light-kicking cartridges with great ballistics that also kill ungulates well? I keep a .30-06 around in case something makes me mad. I doubt anything will.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein