We've had one since the mid 90s before folks really ever heard of them. I've got the large.

Its a natural chimney, just wad up some newspaper and cover with lump charcoal, open bottom and top vents, light, and let it do its thing. That being said...don't let temp get a lot higher than where you want it, it can take awhile for it to come back down due to its ability to hold heat. I keep the bottom vent wide open and adjust temp with the top vent wheel. If still too hot, like when low smoking...I'll start closing the bottom vent. With bottom vent open all the top vent holes open and the wheel cracked...usually gets you around 350. Learning how to control the temps is the biggest learning curve.

And make sure you "burp" it! If not, you'll burn up your gasket and some eyebrows.

Cook everything pretty much as always, it just comes out a better on the bge. For a steak, keep both vents wide open, it will get around 650 700 degrees...a couple of minutes on each side is usually enough. Smoke chicken/turkeys at 300, pretty easy. Burgers/pork chops usually around 400. A plate setter should be your first "egg"ccessory. I'll place an aluminum pan on between it and the grate to catch the drippings or add water when smoking. The plate setter makes it act more like a convection oven.

I've bought and used cheaper lump charcoal, but the bge stuff is a lot better and worth the extra money in my opinion.

Last edited by killerv; 02/21/19.