Originally Posted by erich
I called one in in Northern Nevada this past fall, never was able to get a shot at it. I saw one on the Olympic peninsula a number of years ago out in a clear cut while grouse hunting, never got around to going back and calling the area.

erich, I saw a black coyote on the Olympic Peninsula last week. That's the third black one I've seen in 60 years of chasing them. A pair of coyotes were together in a snowy logging road 40 yards ahead of us, one of them normal and the other larger and looked all black to me. My grandson has better eyes and he said that a part of it was very dark brown rather than all black.

I saw a black one in the Okanagan Valley in south central BC some 25 years ago. It lived in the edge of Vernon, in a shotgun only area, and many local hunters knew about it. I saw it several times and it was not quite totally black, had a little grey in places usually white. The third black one was a dozen years ago a mile north of the US/Canadian border and two miles east of Blaine. That one was in bright afternoon sunshine, mousing in a field within 25 yards of the road. Again, it was not quite all black but had some grey on belly and legs. I'd sure like to get one of those.

From internet reports and photos, apparently black ones are fairly common in parts of the south east.