Originally Posted by humdinger
In early January, I was trying different shotguns off a bench and sand bags and shot maybe 10 rounds total while wearing a heavy winter jacket

My savage 24 just absolutely hammered my shoulder with a heavy turkey load and my shoulder joint still aches.

Ive never experienced this before.

How long do you guys ache after a rough session?

I may have to use my 20 gauge this year if this low level pain persists and I dont want to aggrivate it.

Whats your experience?

The heaviest recoil in my all my past shooting experiences was a 12 ga 3 1/2” turkey load in a light gun and that includes the 458 Lott in a 9 1/2 lb rifle — not worth it. There are plenty of 20 ga loads such that you can find one your gun likes and kill a turkey.

Federal’s Heavyweight 20 ga turkey load if still available at 1 1/2 oz (not a typing mistake) at about 1150 fps moves the 20 up into 12 ga territory. It’s a non-lead, dense shot so even more effective than lead but recoil is noticeably more than what you’d expect from a 20. It is the densest patterning 20 load at 40 yds I’ve ever experienced surpassing a handful of 12 ga lead turkey loads.

But there are others too.