Originally Posted by Soup
Folks ,
I'm not a pistol guy but did have a Blackhawk .357/9mm convertible . Bought when I came home from Vietnam in 70 .
Unfortunately I sold it about 40 some years ago .
Now have a yearning for a Ruger " New Model " Single -Six Convertible . Don't know a damn thing about except the one I'm looking at has a 5 1/2 or 6" barrel & is in nice shape .
Would any of the owners of this model please pass on the " pros & cons " ?
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration .
Soup
They are great guns without any real cons that I know of. I've owned a couple over the years. Currently don't have one. The representative model in the safe is a Colt New Frontier "Scout" size with both cylinders. The Colt was seldom seen when I got it, compared to the Ruger. If anything, I'd say the Ruger was better and these were the two main competitors back then (mid-eighties). If you want something even smaller, Ruger still made the "Bearcat" the last I knew. I don't know if you can get it with both cylinders...most likely can. I wouldn't hesitate in getting a Super Single Six.

I remember going into the local hardware store and buying my first handgun. There was a blued Super Single Six there and it was about $40 higher than the H&R 949 that I bought. The Ruger was used though, IIRC. I'd say I wish I'd bought the Ruger, but the H&R was a cool little gun that served me well until it got traded off on my first centerfire handgun a couple of years later, an Interarms Virginian Dragoon in 45 Colt. The latter was a beautiful but huge single action in the Colt SAA style.