Originally Posted by sbhooper
If they get too much going on, then they become like everybody else. Right now, they stick with a few scopes that are good quality at the right price. Every bell and whistle can add on money and then it takes away some of their value. They cannot be beaten for the dollars spent. I would not mind a little heavier reticle, but I do just fine with it the way it is, too. My fixed scopes do everything that I need of them.

I think this is spot on.

I own two 3-9x42 SS scopes. One is an early Mil-Dot model from the very first batch (SN 006) and one from a regular production run later on with Mil-Quad reticle.

For general purpose use, I prefer the Mil-Quad, but both work.

If I were to make changes to this scope (and I am not at all convinced SWFA should or will; this is just what I would want), I would do the following:
-Cover the turrets, so that they are lower profile or cover the windage turret and add zero-stop to the elevation turret
-Add illumination for low light use at low power (center dot only)
-Add a couple of wind holds to the Mil-Quad reticle to make for a very small and unobtrusive tree.

That would make it just about perfect for my purposes.

The basic problem with this is that a 3-9x42 scope is not fashionable right now since so many designs have moved to higher erector ratios. No matter how good the 3-9x42 SS is, marketing it to the general populace is kinda tricky.

The way it is right now, it can soldier on for quite a long time. However, whether it is worthwhile to invest more in it, is not clear to me.

From a business standpoint, the 3-15x42 SS is a better platform to invest into simply because of the configuration. If they make the same changes to that scope as I list above, I would be absolutely overjoyed.

ILya