Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by prm
I see the points about the market and a 3-15 vs. a 3-9. However, there are a litany of big, heavy, high zoom scopes on the market. Nearly all of which are unnecessary for 95% of hunters. The first thing would be to identify the market and scenarios which you intending to use this scope. My thought is to make something that is best suited to most hunting. While open for debate, I see that as big game (Whitetails, Elk, Mule deer), carry rifles (vice heavy bench rifles), 0-500 yd shots (but mostly inside 300), well suited for dawn and dusk, simple, durable and reliable.

I personally don’t want illumination or parallax adjustments. A well built 3-9 with a good glass, and a reticle design that works at dawn and dusk does not need illumination or parallax adj. There are plenty of other scopes to choose from that have that.

Running ballistics on something like a 180 Partition out of a 30-06 shows that the vast majority of shots don’t need much more than 2 mil of windage, or about 8 MOA. That would be a full value 20 MPH wind at 500yds. Even that is a low likelihood. A small tick at .5mil, a larger one at 1 (edit: and a small one at 1.5) and then a thicker bar at at 2mil would be plenty. Perhaps a couple elevation dots like the Leupold LR Duplex. I could take or leave that. I actually think MOA would be better for most shooters, but it doesn’t matter to me.

The 3-9 starts $100 less than the 3-15 and has the HD glass. I’d rather they make a less expensive scope.

Decent glass, good reticle, tough, reliable, simple.

And not to forget adequate eye relief. I'd like a touch more than even the current 3-9 to use on my 338 Win Mag

use a lesser gun wink