Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I was looking at a vacuum pump to change the brake fluid in my truck. I ran across this video that shows how to do it with just a hose and a pop bottle. Is this actually possible? When you let up on the brake, what keeps it from sucking dirty fluid back through the hose instead of through the brake line? I watched a similar video where he set the bottle on top of the axle. That would make it even easier to suck dirty fluid back in. I'm no mechanic but I've always been taught that you need 2 people if you don't use a vacuum pump.

I did this very thing last week. It works great and you don't have to listen to your woman complain about having to pump the brakes for you. I hung the bottle above the caliper on the spring. Just make sure that if you keep plenty of fluid in the master cylinder, or you can suck air into the system. I did that once when pumping up my brakes after a brake job when I collapsed the calipers and had to pump them back out. I just flushed out the system on my car using this bottle technique. The one man brake bleeding bottles they sell at auto parts store are a waste of money and don't work as well.