downloaded and have half read that book mentioned on stalingrad, inexpensive on kindle, and quite good. also there is a movie out there on stalingrad, called stalingrad 1993, on you tube, watched it this morning. The movie was done by germans, english subtitles. Quite good.
I am a fan of the battlefield digups on the eastern front, and several on digs around stalingrad, something to see.
they are still finding and will continue to find the skeleton's of combatants around the area. Mass graves.
I don't know who has seen the pictures of the stacks of german frozen soldiers above ground mainly because of not being able to bury them.
there was an area that for years after the war near stalingrad just full of skeletons laying on the ground.
It mentioned after the surrender only about 6000 of the 100k plus men sent to siberia came back.
My ex son in law's father was a machine gunner in the central command.
he was taken prisoner later in the war and was in a cattle car aimed at siberia, when they came to a crossing. Him and a few others jumped off the train thinking it was better to be shot than a slower death in siberia. The 18 year old guard did not shoot them, and he made his way back to austria.
He had a phot album too. One picture i have always kept in my mind. A bunch of his ten year old school mates, sitting on a fence prior to the war. He named them by name, and the place they were killed in russia. The movie stalingrad 1993 brings out the inhumanity on both sides, and both sides executing their own soldiers. In the book, it references the soviets shooting about 15000 of their own troops. No wonder they didn't like the book.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO