Originally Posted by Mule Deer
shoots4fun,

No, I didn't think you were badgering me! Thanks for your feedback, and glad you like our writing.

As for 6.5 Creedmoor veloicities, I'm getting 2750 with 143 Hornady ELD-X's in a 22" RAR Predator, and 2800 in a 24" Franchi Momentum, using IMR4451 with published data.

I suspect a LOT of handloader go after all the muzzle velocity they can, even though higher-BC will make more difference at longer ranges, because that's what handloaders have done since the development of smokeless powder. One of my good friends is typical: He spends a lot of time squeezing every last fps out of all his rifles, even though a lot of the bullets he uses have pretty low BC's. Yet he "knows" the 6.5 Creedmoor can't work as an open-country hunting rifle because the muzzle velocities are "too slow."

That's what friends are for John. To add entertainment to this bleak world we live in. Mine are better at helping me move furniture, or working on cars. Most of them shoot factory ammo and have no idea what bc means... grin Most of us here are rifle loonies, like yourself. We all have different experiences here and also bring a lot to the table. I'm new to the creed, but have an appreciation for the little 6.5 caliber. My experience with the creedmoor, as of yet, has been punching paper and ringing steel at various ranges. I've only had one for about 6 months now and have right at 1000 rounds on my savage and about a hundy on my new Tikka superlite now. The furthest out I shoot steel is 440 yards, at the moment. One thing I can say is the 140gr. Hornady ELD cuts through the winds we have here in the Columbia River Gorge like nothing else I've seen. My boss shoots a 300wm and we regularly shoot steel at 440 and the creed walks all over his 178gr Berger VLD load. I got bored one day and punched a 3" hole in the center of the steel plate with the creed, then went to the 4" targets. No misses that day, wind or not. So how much BC does one really need? I guess that all depends on how far you intend to shoot.... As soon as the snow melts and I can get to my favorite spot to shoot out to 1000 yards, I'll keep using the 140 ELD, as it's been doing great so far.... The 147 may do a touch better at 1000, but I don't intend to shoot an animal at that range anyhow... 650-800? Maybe... wink .. That all depends on where I'm hunting this year.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA