i always had open sights as a kid and cheap 22 rifles and never enough 22 ammo, i wanted my son to have a couple of decent 22LR`s and his favorite was a Marlin 39A and it still is for him and me yet today,we own 3 of them. my son wanted a scope on his Marlin 39A , i wanted him to learn open sights better so i purchased Williams peep sight set and yes that peep sight set was not cheap either. son was not happy that night when i put the peep sight set on that rifle, so i told him try it for a week ,the next day in the summer when i got home from work son said dad come watch me shoot this peep sight at 75 yards at a black bird in the tree . one shot at 75 yards and that bird was dead and that little boy was so happy with that peep sight he never ever mention a scope again ,i never had any problems with rodents with son guarding our garden and lawn with his Marlin 39A i did have trouble keeping 22 ammo on hand for him and i mis that little guy asking for more 22 ammo too. lucky for me my 6 year old grandson is next to get a Marlin 39A and these days i have plenty 22 LR ammo too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman