Close to 35 years ago I found a used but mint condition Ruger #3 in 45-70. It was just one of those times when I wasn't really looking for one but it just appealed to me. The price was $300 and after a lot of thought I walked away. I have regretted it ever since, especially when every one I have seen since has been a LOT more than $300. I have always kept my eye open for one but until recently I have just not come across one I could justify buying.
It was on the rack in a small shop & I recognized the lever and muzzle even before picking it up. A No3 in 45-70. No sling swivels and not drilled & tapped either. The rear sight is a full buckhorn of some kind and the barrel markings are all gold color filled. It had some handling marks in the wood and the receiver has a plum color but the bore is excellent. The price was more than $300 but still very reasonable so my 35 year search was over.

Anyone know what year Ruger started to D&T for scope mounts and weather or not the rear sight could be factory ? (doubt it) along with the gold lettering?