I had one 20 years ago. It was not a shooter with anything I tried in it. It might have been the design of the Weatherby stock, but I felt the recoil was a good bit more than the Remington 7mag. I shot a few deer with mine, but was trying to run 140's real fast and was not getting an exit. I guess I was just shooting those standard cup and cores a little too fast for short to medium range shots (didn't get any long shots). I am actually a Weatherby fan, but this particular rifle was on the verge of being crude. The action and bolt were both very rough and shells in the magazine were scratched and scraped by the bolt. Considering I paid over a thousand for it a long time ago it was not a very good value and I was very disappointed in the rifle. Conversely, I have handled some of the West German models in the past and the workmanship was top notch and they were smooth as butter.

Hard to beat the caliber though, recoil is tolerable and the ballistics are great. I would consider getting another one for another go - I think I simply just got a lemon.