hello,

Hello community i have a quick question. Do you have better luck getting scope mounting kits from the vendor of the scope themselves, or from the manufactures of the rifle? I have a weatherby vanguard s2 and scoped with (soon to be arriving) Leupold vx5 3-15. Ideally for hunting at some point, but would go out to the desert to do some target shooting as well. I did Leupold's website where they fit a scope to a gun & they kept referring me to 'high rings' for my 44mm objective. I've read elsewhere the people aren't a fan of Leupold's dovetail mounting setup as they aren't very secure (but was wondering if thats because they didn't ready the Scope Mounting to Maintain Zero Sticky) Anyways from what i've been reading is that having your scope as close to the bore of the rifle is optimal & was wondering if anyone out there disregarded Leupold's online-size-calculator suggested & went with a size shorter.... Just throwing this out there to see if anyone else has this exact setup but went with 3rd party base & rings... I'm here here to learn for the more learned people in the room. Thanks in advanced!

Josh