I posted for the first time here over on the "Savage 1895/99 Orginals" and JoeMartin suggested I start my own thread to get more info on my new-2-me Savage Model 99 so here goes...
Day before yesterday it was handed down to me from my step-Dad. He's no "Spring Chicken" physically or mentally, but knows how much I like shooting.
He had told me it was a Winchester lever action 30-30 before I got it, but within a moment out of the case, I knew it wasn't and found it to be a Savage 99 chambered in .300 Sav.
This is a gun I knew absolutely nothing about 48 hours ago. A few hours on the internet landed me some info and I found this forum.

Here is what I can tell you and if there is anything else needed to help me narrow down what exact model, vintage, and possible book value... but I ain't sellin it!

Serial number reads 4074XX. I found two savage data bases say that makes it a 1941(!)
http://www.savage99.com/savage99_dates.htm
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?55730-General-Model-99-Date-of-Manufacture-Info
The Lever Boss Code is not a letter, it is a number "3"
Stamping reads Utica N.Y.
It is hand checkered on the forearm and pistol grip.
It is beautiful case hardened colors on the lever
It has a brass Mag counter.

If this gun is actually 78 years old , it is in amazing condition.
The blueing is flawless aside from one small, fine, scratch on the receiver opposite of the counter. No visible wear at all.
The action is not jeweled like some I have seen.
It does have a Redfield tang mounted dioptler peep rear sight.
The old leather sling is the similar to WWII style you would see on an M1

The bore needs cleaned before I can tell it's actual condition but to be honest, I am a little nervous to run a brush down it without knowing more.
I want to clean and lube it before firing it, but until I get a .30 boresnake, that has to wait.....the last thing I want to do is push crud from the barrel into the receiver by running a brush down the muzzle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We don't take friends camping... we MAKE friends camping!