Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
It's more than just opening the bolt face. The mag is a major deal as the .404 round is fatter than what the Mauser was designed for.

I've seen pictures of Mausers with the sides of the box gone, the rounds running against the sides of the stock inlet, only the rear of the box still there.

Got this on the internet. This is what I'm talking about, the 98 box cut away except the rear wall. The rounds run against the stock inlet. I'm thinking the inlet width would have to be perfect and I'd probably epoxy sheet metal on the sides of the inlet to form the sides, probably the front, of the wider box. I would think that could be tricky if one didn't know the exact dimensions the finished product needed to be. And, that doesn't address feeding issues, follower, etc.

For a slick feeding 404J on a 98 action, you'll need a real pro to tackle this type project, IMO.

As noted, I built a .404J on a Classic NH M-70 RUM donor. But, IMO, a .404J on a std 98 is another matter. I wouldn't tackle it.

DF

[Linked Image]

That was how Jeffery commissioned it done from 1905 until 1910. What is difficult to see , unless blow up the photo, is the steel plate inlet in the stock at the front of the magazine box.

The stock inlet becomes the mag box.

What about the sides, where there steel plates on the sides of the mag inlet, or just in front?

That was the best photo I could find on line. Not the best, but shows how they did it.

That lets me know I wouldn't want to try to adapt a 98 Mauser for .404J. Seemed to work for those guys.

But, they knew what they were doing.

DF

Edited to add, on closer examination of the stock, there seems to be a "U" shaped metal lining of the mag inlet, in essence forming a new metal box mag for oversized .404J rounds. The metal lining on three sides completes the box mag with dimensions to accommodate those big rounds. I would think this required considerable altering of the feed ramps. The wider box may require a different follower. I've never examined one of these up close.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 04/29/19.