Originally Posted by 1minute
You sir are a man's man! I might do one or two rounds a day out of something like that.

Not really, but after a box and 1/2 there are other things that seem more important at the moment. Mine weighs 10#3 oz with 500-570 gr ppb's and 140+ grs of fg it will get tiring recoil wise. A heavy or bull barrel would help with recoil reduction a lot. If one's rifle has a tight 1-22 or 1-26 twist it's made for 600-700+ gr bullets then they get real tiresome. The 1-36 twist mine has limits you to about 570 grs bullet weight without stability problems. A Buffalo Arms prone model recoil shield and learn to roll with it are the keys.... I've shot 1 buffalo ,2 deer and 2 antelope with it. It pokes a 50 cal hole through them and they bleed to death like most shot animals. Elmer Keith reviewed the the 3 1/4 " 50 back in the June 1940 issue of the American Rifleman, the one he shot had a overbored barrel with a 1 -30 twist it would not handle the 700 gr ppb's consistently either. I remember him saying that he'd run up to 170 gr of Fg bp in it. Of course he was using the old UMC balloon head hulls in it and fireformed brass with a shallow seated 700 gr ppb. I figured what hell, if you compress the 165 gr charge in 3 lifts of 55 ea maybe it would fit in modern brass. More is not all ways better and somethings don't need to be done twice or even a first time. I don't recommend that to anyone or using smokeless in the big cases. I think having a Shiloh chambered in a cartridge you can comfortably shoot all day long is the right way to go and one in 45-2.1" is a good start on that. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "