At today's Basic Handgun class, I had two terrific people show up with handguns that were entirely unsuitable for their needs. They're beginning handgunners. Good people, but unused to shooting a handgun.

#1 had a 40 S&W Kahr, a relatively light, compact, self-defense firearm.

#2 had a classic, 30 year old 380 AMT pocket pistol/belly gun

Neither student could shoot either of those things worth a hoot! No surprise. The 40 in that lightweight gun kicks like a mule. The AMT 380 kept trying to take bites out of the web between thumb and forefinger of the other student.

I stopped the madness quickly, and substituted my old faithful Ruger 22/45 with 40 grain CCI ammo.
[Linked Image]

Wow... Within a few shots, each of them was shooting nice, TIGHT, groups... Really nice, TIGHT groups.

Shoot a gun that doesn't kick the snot out of you, particularly if you're a beginner. Results will be better. If you've got someone who wants teaching... Consider handing them your 22, not your hot-loaded 44... Learn gun safety. Learn the fundamentals of marksmanship. Then, when all that is solid, consider bumping up to a more powerful handgun. But not until then. Please.

Thanks, Guy