Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
We shipped LOTS of these out, who's got some reviews to post?

Range day is tomorrow. I'll sight it in, twist the knobs, & post some pics.

In the meantime, I got it mounted. This is about the only setup I could do without a trip to the store, & it's hardly ideal: Weaver Grand Slam (High) steel rings, in the base that came on the 788 when Dad bought it for me in the early 80's.

[Linked Image]

I can't slide it any further back, so I gotta crawl the stock:

[Linked Image]

The following pictures were taken with the rifle (bolt removed) in a rest, aimed at a post in a standard-dimension split rail fence. The iPhone was held in a Carson phone bracket hooked to the lens cap. The colors in the picture aren't even close to how well they pop in real life, and the tunnel vision at 6x is a function of the Carson bracket holding the phone too far from the lens, and my sucking at figuring out how to use said bracket. When using the scope at 6x, there's scarcely any tunnel vision. Disclaimers done - let's continue.

Here's the reticle at lower X (probably 2.XXX), black, then with the dot set on #10 setting. Somewhere around 35 yards:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This time I cranked 'er up to 6, & took the same photos:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I stand by the observations from Friday afternoon. Now that it's on the rifle (but not yet shot), I'll add:

1. I still LOVE the reticle. The dot was small enough to hold clearly between a squirrel's eyes at 40 yards. Nice & crisp.
2. From viewing around the neighborhood, the glass is very good: nice colors, contrast, flat & clear to the edges.
3. The weight is noticeable. I've had a 2-7x32 Viper on this rifle for many years, & it's immediately obvious when I pick it up now that it's heavier.
4. Eye position isn't exactly critical, but correct position will matter, especially above about 5x. I'm sure the only reason I noticed is how ridiculously high & far forward I was forced to mount it.
5. Regardless of the crappy base I had to use, there's not a whole ton of tube length for mounting.

I've loaded some 120 NBT's (this rifle's favorite fodder) for the range tomorrow. If it tracks decently, I'm thinking this scope will be mated to a 722 in .300 Savage as a dedicated hog setup. That rifle currently wears a 4x32 Conquest, and I'll attempt to get some pre-dawn comparisons between the 2 scopes, as well as checking them out at the range mid-day.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC