Much of this discussion, definitely not pointing fingers at anyone, illustrates why I don’t like 2nd focal plane holdover reticles. Different magnification settings for some, high magnification settings for others, etc.

In the field I need no more than a moderate level of magnification for most activities, ie still hunting, spot and stalk, etc. If I spot an animal there may be limited time to adjust the scope (I’ve walked up on elk 20 yards away that didn’t see me, and I didn’t see them). If the scope is set to 12X in that scenario you are at a disadvantage with little time to adjust.

If you see an animal 300-400 yards away and you are watching it and have time to play with the scope a 2nd Focal Plane holdover reticle would be fine. I have experienced similar scenarios.

Mostly though it’s a scenario where you have a couple to 15 seconds to get a shot off and I am not thinking about my scope. With a fixed power or 1st Focal Plane reticle I’m still good.

If you are able to use something, use it! I’m just saying why I don’t like 2nd Focal Plane holdover reticles. I have a buddy that can work in either MOA or MILs. Not me! He starts to talk in MILs and I just quit listening so I don’t get myself confused!